Have you ever found yourself staring at the clock at exactly 2:22? Do you often wonder why your “lucky number” frequently pops up in unexpected places?
The answers are actually embedded within the mysterious powers of numerals. Used by countless individuals over many thousands of years, numerology – or the mystical study of numbers – provides insights into future events, circumstances, and personalities.
In this blog post, I describe what numerology is, the history behind it, how it works and, most importantly, how you can calculate your own numerology number to gather insight on your big picture and life’s greater purpose.
Origins: A Look Back at the Divine and the Mystical
At its root, numerology lies in the belief that numbers are a universal language. By calculating specific numbers – commonly names and birthdates – you can get a clearer picture of yourself, other people and the world at large.
While the system has been used across a wide range of civilizations for thousands of years, no one really knows the true origins of the study. However, numerological systems started to appear in writings discovered in the earliest of cultures.
According to some accounts, numerology stretches back to ancient Egypt and Babylonia, and was initially and formally-organized by well-known mathematician Pythagoras in ancient Greece.
In a nutshell, numerology is the study of the numbers in your life, delivering insights on your personality, strengths, talents, emotional reactions and needs. On a higher level, numerology is a branch of knowledge that focuses on the science and underlying significance of numbers and their impact on our physical reality.
At the highest-level numerology is a spiritual tool.
The practice is based on relatively simple principles, including the fact that everything in the universe vibrates at its own particular frequency – many use the approach to find the vibration rate of any given object, including people. In fact, each of us has our own unique vibration. This vibration is the essence of what makes us special. With this information, you can ascertain valuable information about an individual’s personality and overall character.
With numerology, numbers are reduced to the single digits of “1 through 9,” except for numbers 11 and 22. Each of these numbers – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 22 – signify one of the major vibration rates in which everything in the universe vibrates. In turn, each of these digits is associated with a specific personal characteristic.
Numerology can be a powerful tool. And, similar to astrology, it provides a blueprint that is often quite accurate. However, it’s important to keep in mind that, with numerology, there are many other facets to people, including the choices they make in life.
So, while numerology may help you better understand your personality and potential challenges, it’s ultimately up to each individual as to whether they want to follow the path laid out by the widespread practice.
So How Does It Work?
The concept behind numerology is that the entire universe and your life are influenced by your birthdate. With your birth date, you can find your life path number. Each life path number has a different meaning but is typically reflective of who you are organically.
To find your life path number, take each digit in your birthday and total them up. Take the total of this multi-digit number and add these numbers together. For example, 51 would become 5 + 1 = 6. So, for example, April 2, 1990, would be 4 + 2 = 6 (Month + Day). Next, calculate your birth year and add it to your first number. Here’s how it would look: 1 + 9 + 9 + 0 = 19, 1 + 9 = 10, 1+0 = 1. Then, add this number to your first number like this: 1 + 6 = 7. In this instance, 7 is the life path number.
Your life path number is one of the most significant numbers in your numerological breakdown, providing a glimpse of yourself in the present. Each life path number has a corresponding meaning and commonly reflects a part of who you are and what you are here to accomplish in this incarnation.
At the highest-level, Numerology is a spiritual tool.
Here’s an overview of the different life path numbers:
- You have natural leadership skills and lots of independence. You have ambition, and you want to be an achiever. You also enjoy being in control and like to be creative.
- Associated with peace, you like to listen and help people. Diplomacy is a strong skill, as well as the ability to reason with others. You are also a creature of habit and thrive on routine.
- You enjoy creativity, including the arts, writing and dramatic arts. You are an excellent problem solver and tend to take a “glass is half-full” approach on life.
- You are organized and practical. You are idealistic, but also committed and tend to be a high achiever.
- You prefer to see justice served and you can often be skeptical. A bit on the eccentric side, you enjoy adventure, however, your focus is on the well-being of others.
- You tend to be very paternal or maternal. You are honest, kind and enjoy the comfort of having others around you. You embrace and thrive off of the happiness of others.
- Perfection is important to you, and you have strong emotions. You like to analyze everything, but you can also be spiritual. You are good at guiding others and tend to be quite loyal.
- You are a hard worker with lots of drive. Leadership and ambition come naturally, and your professional life is extremely important to you.
- The most emotional number on the list, you tend to exhibit a range of intense emotions, including compassion for others. You are also intellectual and deep.
Another essential number to consider in numerology is your Destiny or Expression Number. Relating to your natural talents and potentials, this number – calculated using your full birth name – can also describe where you struggle or face big challenges. If you are using numerology to get a better insight into your mental or emotional health, this number can be particularly useful.
Using Numerology for Emotional Well-Being
Your numerology chart provides insight into the type of person you are, including your strengths, your weaknesses and the struggles you tend to experience. Every individual has a set of numerology numbers that can impact everything from a personal life path to romantic relationships, career choices and more.
If you know the numerology numbers and how their energies affect your life, you can use them to navigate significant life decisions strategically and better understand who you are, what you want and where you are going.
And most importantly, the knowledge gained by using numerology can help you ultimately live your best life.